Monday, May 7, 2012

Pin It


Get Gadget

Asian Style Cucumber Salad



I love Seaweed Salad....the kind you get from your favorite sushi place!  Unfortunately, my budget doesn't always allow me to indulge my "habit"!




So, after much research and reading, I decided to recreate the dish using some more common ingredients, namely cucumbers AND nori.

Traditional Seaweed Salad is often made with Wakame, which is a dried Japanese seaweed.  It's hard to find and kind of expensive.  Nori is the dried seaweed sheets you find in the Oriental section of your grocery store that is used to make sushi rolls.  Though nori is an optional ingredient, I find it adds that "sea" flavor that you get in Seaweed Salad....it's a hard flavor to describe, but, I really like it!


To julienne the cucumbers, I used a "julienne" peeler that I found at a garage sale....I don't use it for much, but it came in handy for this recipe!    You are looking for very thin, narrow strips of cucumber!  And, leave the skin on....it adds texture and color!


Asian Style Cucumber Salad


  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce, low sodium
  • 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
  • ½ teaspoon minced garlic
  • 3 scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
  • 2 English cucumbers, thinly julienned*
  • 2 sheets dried nori (sushi wrappers), cut into thin strips, optional
  • 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

In medium bowl, mix together rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, ginger, garlic and scallions.

Toss in cucumbers and nori (if using) and toss to coat.  Allow to marinate for 30 to 60 minutes, stirring several times to distribute marinade completely.

Drain mixture, place salad in bowl and toss with cilantro and sesame seeds.

Serves 4




*If using regular cucumbers, cut cucumbers in half and remove seeds with a spoon.

1 comment:

  1. Please let me know your thoughts on this recipe! Is it something you will try?

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!