Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Pin It


Get Gadget

So Much More Than Just Waffles (though, Just Waffles are good, too)!




So I was thinking of doing a Breakfast Waffle Sandwich for my May, 2012 Sylvia's Kitchen television show.


I was heading down the path to Black Forest Ham and Swiss Cheese sandwiched between two waffles with some kind of sweetened spread.  I thought it sounded like a great idea....easy to eat and portable so you can eat it on the way to work or school.

I almost put it to paper.....then it hit me, I really love sausage and waffles together with my syrup.....I drown both of them in syrup....so, why not put them together???

DUH!!!!  (I had a moment)

Sausage in the waffle batter!  I always put pecans in the batter for my husband, so why not sausage AND apple, to make it a little sweet and give it some crunch!  So that's what I did and here is the recipe!


Sausage and Apple Waffles


  • 2 cups prepared baking mix (Bisquick or Jiffy)
  • ¼ cup vegetable oil
  • ¼ cup melted butter
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • ½ cup club soda
  • ½ cup milk
  • ¼ cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 large sweet apple (Honey Crisp, Braeburn, Gala), peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
  • 4 ounces pork sausage, cooked and finely crumbled 

Mix together baking mix, oil, butter, eggs, club soda, milk, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon until well blended.  Stir in apple and sausage and mix well.

Preheat waffle iron, spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Pour appropriate amount for your waffle iron, lower lid and wait!

To keep waffles hot and crispy, preheat oven to 175 degrees and place waffles directly on the grate.  Do not cover them….that makes them soggy.

Feel free to substitute the proper measured ingredients for the baking mix....I try and keep things easy for my busy viewers and readers!

Also, add some more sausage, if desired!  I used ready to serve sausage patties, that just needed to be warmed in the microwave, then I chopped them up!

PS.....I am still going to do the Waffle Sandwich thing!  =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!