Friday, April 1, 2016

Pin It


Get Gadget

Grilled Ham, Cheese and Fried Egg Sandwich

I like to bike....
(actually, I LOVE to bike)

I bike for many reasons....
I bike for exercise....
I bike for my health....
I bike for my sanity....
I bike for the challenge....
I bike for the peace it brings to my thoughts....
I bike to burn calories (so, I can eat more of my favorite foods)....
I bike for inspiration....

Often, that inspiration comes in the form of food creation (how to replace all those calories I'm burning), such as this Grilled Ham, Cheese and Fried Egg Sandwich.
YES!  A double yolk!  Must be my lucky day!

Around the 10 mile mark on my morning bike ride, I started thinking about breakfast. Usually, my breakfast includes an egg....6 grams of protein, 13 essential nutrients AND only 70 calories! But, today, I was feeling like MORE! And, there is something to be said about a breakfast sandwich!

So, I let my mind wander, while still keeping track of the traffic around me.....an egg, over-easy with ham and cheese on firm, white bread and then grilled!  That sounds perfect!  

For the next 10 miles, that's what I thought about, that sandwich....grilled to perfection, with the runny yoke and melted cheese....just, get me to the kitchen, please!

The creamy mayonnaise mixes
with the melted cheese
 
Something you will note about this grilled sandwich....I don't use butter on the outside, I use mayonnaise. Mayonnaise has fat and egg protein and creates a beautiful golden crust, not to mention, it tastes great!

Grilled Ham, Cheese and Fried Egg Sandwich

1 large egg
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1 - 2 slices of cheese (I used Provolone)
2 - 3 slices of ham (I used Black Forest)
2 slices of firm, white bread (or whatever kind of bread you like)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon horseradish or to taste (optional)

Heat a small saute or fry pan over medium heat.  Spray with non-stick cooking spray and crack the egg into the pan. Season with salt and pepper.

The perfect dipping sauce!
Cook egg until the whites reach your desired doneness, flip egg to lightly cook the top, or until you reach YOUR perfect level of yoke doneness (I like mine over easy....lots of runny goodness).

Remove egg from pan and set aside. Spread one side of each slice of bread with a small amount of mayonnaise. Place one slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, in pan. Spread a thicker layer of mayonnaise on the exposed side of the bread and spread the horseradish on the mayonnaise.

Layer cheese and ham on top and place the fried egg on top of the ham. Finally, cover with the remaining slice of bread (so the exposed side of the bread can soak up the yoke) with the mayonnaise side facing up.

Grill bread until golden brown on the bottom, flip and continuing grilling until golden brown on the top.  Remove to plate, cut this sandwich in half and let all that runny yoke goodness flow out.

If you don't like horseradish, don't use it, add some mustard or other favorite condiment!

Enjoy!






1 comment:

  1. This makes a great breakfast for kids. I usually replace it with nutella as my kids don't prefer peanut butter.

    Cheese Sandwich and Fried Egg

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!