Sunday, April 24, 2016

Pin It


Get Gadget

Tex-Mex Apple Pies

Just to warn you....I'm about to say something that will astound you....I love to cook!  I know....that's hard to believe!

But, I really love the whole process of cooking!  Starting with just an idea of an ingredient, or a cooking technique and then creating a recipe around that idea.

Putting together the basics and then adding in seasonings, spices and herbs.  Experimenting with measurements and flavors.  

Some things work together and, trust me, some things don't!

Finishing with the end result....what kind of plate?  How should the food be displayed?  What kind of garnish?

Then, serving my food to someone.  The offering of my food to someone else fulfills such a basic need in me.  That simple gesture is so satisfying.

But, the very best part of the cooking process for me?  It's when someone recreates one of my recipes. Whether they follow the recipe exactly, or change it up and make it their own.  I cannot express, in words, how that warms my soul. How blessed I feel that someone would want to use their valuable time and make one of my recipes.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you.

And, that brings me to Tex-Mex Apple Pies.  I created this from what I had in the house at the time for the November, 2012 edition of Sylvia's Kitchen!




Tex-Mex Apple Pies


1 can (20 - 22 ounces) Apple Pie Filling, slightly mashed with a fork
½ cup of water*
½ cup (1 stick) butter
½ cup of white sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
Ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a 9 x 13” baking dish.

In a small saucepan, bring water, butter, sugars and cinnamon to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Wrap tortillas in a dampened paper towel and heat in microwave for 30 seconds, to make them pliable and easy to handle. (this step may not be necessary, if your tortillas are easily rolled)

Add ¼ cup of apples to the bottom third of tortilla, fold sides in toward apples and roll up the tortilla from the bottom.  Place in prepared pan, seam side down.  Continue for each tortilla.

I cut the basic recipe in half, used just two
tortillas and a smaller dish to feed two people
Pour the sugar mixture over the top of the prepared tortillas, sprinkle with ground cinnamon.  Let pan rest for 20 – 30 minutes to soak up the sugar mixture.

Bake for 25 minutes, uncovered. 

Serve warm with ice cream.  Drizzle with the caramel sauce left in the baking dish. 

Serves 6


*Want to make this more “adult”, use ¼ cup rum, plain or spiced, and ¼ cup water in place of ½ cup water.





1 comment:

  1. Since my pie crusts always come out ugly as sin (tasty, but hideous), this is my go to method for all kinds of fruit pies.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!